Wilford Hall Medical Center Demolition and Site Restoration
|Owner:||US Army Corps of Engineers|
|Building Demolition Area:||1.5 million SF|
|Site Area:||36.4 acres|
|Paving Area:||29,753 sy|
|Contract Amount:||14+ million|
Wilford Hall Medical Center was named for US Air Force Major General Wilford Hall in 1963. It began as a 100 bed station hospital in 1942 and by the end of World War II, the hospital had grown to 1,200 beds. In 1957, the hospital and tower was completed to care for soldiers, sailors and airmen returning from the Korean conflict. It remained in operation until 2011 when the Wilford Hall’s Trauma Center was transferred to Brooke Army Medical Center at Ft Sam Houston, and 2017 when clinics and services were transferred to the new Wilford Hall Ambulatory Surgical Center at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland. The 1.5 million square foot facility treated countless thousands of service men and women and their families throughout its 60+ year lifetime. The area will be restored to provide additional parking for the new facilities, over 25 acres of green space and over a mile of walking/jogging track.